Our Kitchen Garden
Over the last two years, our acre of kitchen garden has been developed into four separate styles, allotment, perennial, permaculture and cottage.
It is planned, planted, maintained and harvested by our small team of chefs and groundsmen, giving the freshest seasonal produce exactly when needed.
The range of produce is extensive, over 50 different types of fruit and vegetable are grown, the majority from seed, propagated in the polytunnel, appearing on the plate directly after washing and dressing or cooked in sauce, puree, chutney or jam.
The idea behind the garden is to:
- Create a diverse range for the kitchen, giving a mix of unusual and traditional flavours. To reintroduce some lesser known herbs.
- Develop a low maintenance garden manageable by the chefs through use of perennial and self seeding plants. Reduce annual planting.
- Get more yield, both in terms plants per bed and through the year.
- Become more environmentally friendly. Move towards organic. Encourage bees ( including our own ) and other “good” wildlife through edible plants, flowers and hedges.
- Compost as much kitchen waste as possible.
A seasonal taste of The Riverside Inn gardens
|New Potatoes||Summer Salad||Parsley||Sprouts|
Guided tours and talks by the Head Chef for 2 to 8 people are available – please let us know if you are interested.